Reflections on Living Life

Living Life...Moment by Moment

Thursday, November 10, 2011

Our First Step in Freedom: What does a Vital Relationship look like with God?



What does a vital relationship with God look like to us? How would you describe someone who you feel has a vital relationship with the Lord? Maybe it would be someone who goes to church every Sunday, someone who serves within and outside the church, someone who does random acts of kindness to reach those in need, someone who tithes monthly, someone who reads scripture daily and prays for others. These are all good things and  can describe someone who loves God and has a relationship with Him. But a thriving, growing, close and vital relationship with God? How can we perceive this from the outside? Honestly, we can't. What does God require for a vital relationship with Him? Is this where true Freedom begins to take root?

Repentance is where it begins. He calls us to remove the heavy yoke of oppression from our souls. He calls us to humble ourselves before Him and to repent of our destructive ways. In order to have Freedom, we must first start from within.

 In Jeremiah 3, scripture shows how Israel was in captivity and continued to walk away from the Lord. The land was polluted and their hearts were wayward and consequently their lives were miserable. But because of His unfailing love upon His children, he says in verse 12 "my faithless people, come home to me again, for I am merciful. I will not be angry with you forever. Only acknowledge your guilt. Admit that you rebelled against the Lord your God." Verse 13 says "Confess that you have refused to listen to my voice." This is part I of becoming Free in Christ...we are called to repent!

The Israelites were in captivity...on their own path...away from God. Where are you? Is your heart polluted just like the Israelites? Are you living a life away from God? Do you follow your own desires or His? About a month ago, I was struggling with some personal things that were just tearing me down. I couldn't sleep. I couldn't concentrate on my studies. I was striving for so many things, full of alot of emotions that I just could not get a handle on, and felt like my life was out of control. On the inside, I thought I was going to explode. My body was struggling spiritually, physically, and emotionally. But yet, I had this drive to continue at full speed ahead. No speed limit signs anywhere to be seen! No stop signs...no yielding. Crosswalks...watch out people! There was absolutely no margin in my life. The  vision I can give you is a race car in full throttle spinning it's wheels in the mud...with the finish line 500 yards ahead. I was stuck, but yet I could see where I was going. Along side the muddy road were rest stops for refueling and fixing ....but me? Well,  I was choosing to put the gas pedal down and keep my wheel straight. Why would you rest when you can see the finish line down the road? That's insane...just get there! This my friends is the problem!!! This is why we are stuck in oppression and have no freedom. This is why we don't experience joy, peace, love, contentment, and the abundant life Christ offers us.

That morning I sat seeking the Lord to unstuck my muddy tires and move me forward! I think I even asked Him to get out the wooden planks....you know, to help my tires get a better grip! He did just that , so be careful what you ask for!  Wouldn't you know it, I came to Jeremiah 3-4 and read the exact scripture that Living Free has us in today. I was reading about our wayward hearts and Him calling us to repent and come to Him, just as we are. In chapter 4, He tells the people of Judah and Jerusalem to "plow up the hard ground of your hearts! Don't waste your good seed among thorns. Surrender your pride and power. Change your hearts before the Lord or my anger will burn like an unquenchable fire because of all your sins." OUCH...I was about to go up in flames! These verses spoke so loudly to me that day back in September that the Lord broke my spirit. My spirit of pride. My spirit of self sufficiency. My spirit of anger. My spirit of resentment. My spirit of defeat. My spirit of fear, insecurity and doubt. I could go on and on...but the bottom line was that I realized that I was following MY path, at MY speed, with MY controls. In Jeremiah 3:14 it says " Return home, you wayward children" says the Lord "for I am your master."

Are you listening to your Master? Are you coming to Him, just as you are, and asking Him to show you areas in your heart that are hard ground? Are you allowing Him to plow those up so that the good seed can grow and the weeds can be destroyed? Freedom is  a choice...the first step is FULL SURRENDER through REPENTANCE!! FULL SURRENDER and allowing Him to take control.  Allow Him to take control of the steering wheel, the speed, and all the controls on the inside (the rooms in your heart)....clean out all the junk in the trunk!!

A vital relationship with Him begins with a repentant heart willing to open up and clean out. Are you willing to surrender your hearts desires for His? Are you willing to turn from your ways and follow His so that you may experience the full freedom that He promises to you?

No comments:

Post a Comment